Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Depleted and Defeated AND Not Forever

Since reading this, I've become fascinated, no that's too strong, intrigued by the concept of ego depletion.
I've read a bit more, haven't truly analyzed it, just thought about it.
And after a brief conversation, thought more about the power of habits. Habits, after all, are the things we do without thinking. So, there is a benefit in good habits, developing good habits. Not just because they are good, but because of the rest it can give your brain.
I've always told people I don't see things in black and white, and not just the added gray, but the hundreds of shades of gray. It's always hard for me to make a decision because I see so many outcomes. I try too hard to pick the best one. It's impossible. According to the ego depletion theory, it could be part of why I get tired and then make wrong impulsive choices now and then, regardless of how much I think of myself as logical, or a thinker thoughtful person. I wear myself out.
It may also relate to change in several ways. I build habits into my schedule for several reasons. It makes it  easier to get through the week without thinking about every little thing. I take the same lunch. I work out on the same days. When something happens to change my schedule, I have to re-think my week. I get frustrated. I don't like change. But maybe part of what I don't like is the having to re-think everything. Yes, it's just a nuance to most people, I'm sure, but it makes sense to me in a small way. A way I may be able to relate to, a way I can use to make it easier to deal with change. Other articles reinforced the post I read.
And not just by eating cookies. I read another article that reinforced the glucose drain on the brain when this happened and better choices were made after a snack. The snack didn't have to taste great, equal results were seen when the cookies were delicious and not so delicious. (Sorry, didn't save that one.)
More in the realm of acknowledge and move on.  And/or find more time to do the things that fill my ego back up. Introvert-style.
Our information overload world is packed with more decision making opportunities than ever before. I happen to believe I work in an environment right now that overflows with treacherous little decisions. Decisions I have to make hourly. Patron interactions. Staff interactions. Policy and procedure interpretations. The workplace had a program designed to give us power to make decisions, and yet, at the same time, gave us flow charts of the right way to do things. Rather contradictory, and, even more, then leads to the decision anxiety that leads to ego depletion, I'm sure. Reasons I get worn out at work?
Now I need to make a connection.
I've also recently read about ACT - Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. It's mindfulness based!  It's about acceptance in the sense of plain acceptance, it is, not about acceptance as in resignation. This is what is, how do I move forward? (And after an exercise at work, I chuckled at the use of the word "but" in this article and used it, their way, in some sense for the post title.)
It takes a while to get to that place.
It's the find more joy experiment.
Maybe filtering or framing.
Anyway, perhaps understanding more about ego depletion and a mindfulness approach to making decisions, dealing with choices and moving forward, can be a way to replenish.
Sometimes I have to work at home so just do it and move on. Sometime I don't, so don't think about the next time, just do what I want to do. Sometimes make a choice to reflect who I am or want to be. Read a J book or do some art, take a walk?  Sometimes making the choice that reflects that value, who I want to be, who I am is the right choice. How do I want to define myself now, right now. It could be good.
Then, of course, once the decision is made, don't dwell, just do it.
Thoughts of what may or may not happen are just thoughts. Let them go.

Interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home